Foul Fowl Control Kynetx App For Twitter.com

I have long longed for the ability to not see foul language in my Twitter stream. Why I didn’t think to create a Kynetx app before now to do this very thing is beyond me. Today a friend of mine on Twitter mentioned that he also wished there was a way to filter or hide foul language in tweets so I decided I would build this app. I decided to build the app so that it would replace foul words with asterisks instead of just hiding the tweet from the tweet stream, which I could build another app to do or I could have a setting to change the functionality. I also don’t have a way for new words to beĀ censoredĀ other than you contacting me and asking me to add a word to the list. I don’t really want an inbox full of foul language but if you see that my app has missed something that you think should be hidden then let me know via twitter or email and I’ll probably add it.

I’m not going to show before and after action shots but I can show you how the app behaves when I was testing it with a list of random words:

Download Chrome Extension

Download Firefox Extension

Download Internet Explorer Extension

If you are interested in seeing the code that makes this app work the way it does, you can check it out over at http://kynetxappaday.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/find-and-replace-words-in-twitter-tweet-stream/

MikeGrace: A 25 year old Geek that loves his wife and enjoys tech, photography, outdoors, and his motorcycle.

Discussion

1. Brother Judkins says:

This is genius. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. Doug Byrd says:

Here’s two words you can add; Monday & Work.
    Great work Mike! Thanks!

3. MikeGrace says:

You are welcome Brother Judkins! I love building useful tools that solve problems.

4. MikeGrace says:

@Doug, Hahaha! Yes, many would agree with you that Monday and work should be added. ; ) Glad you enjoy the app.

5. Jay Cummings says:

Any thoughts on providing an IE extension?

6. MikeGrace says:

Kynetx makes providing an IE extension for Kynetx apps supper easy but I’m worried that it might not be very performant since IE’s JavaScript engine is abysmal and makes me want to stab myself in the eye. The JavaScript to run through each tweet is a bit CPU intensive so I have held of on providing an IE extension but I will add it since you asked but I wish you would use a real browser like Chrome or Firefox.

7. Dominic says:

Need an android an iPhone app desperately

8. David W says:

Your app is great, but it has stopped working with the new version of Chrome that was installed the other day. Chrome version 15.0.874.102 m

9. MikeGrace says:

Thanks for the heads up.

10. David W says:

Any word on possible fix for Chrome?

11. David W says:

Hey, just FYI, I tried re-downloading/installing the crx, and Chrome now tells me its corrupted/invalid…

12. GhaV jGRite says:

Doesn’t work with the latest Mozilla Firefox. 11+

1. [... I have long longed for the ability to not see foul language in my Twitter stream. Why I didn't think to create a Kynetx app before now to do this ...]

2. [... I have long longed for the ability to not see foul language in my Twitter stream. Why I didn't think to create a Kynetx app before now to do this ...]

3. [... I have long longed for the ability to not see foul language in my Twitter stream. Why I didn't think to create a Kynetx app before now to do this ...]

4. [... I have long longed for the ability to not see foul language in my Twitter stream. Why I didn't think to create a Kynetx app before now to do this ...]