Closet Stats Junkie
Here is my public admission that I am a bit of a stats junkie. I LOVE NUMBERS AND DATA! As one of my good buddies would say…
Reasons why I think I am addicted to stats:
- I love tracking statistics within my applications to know what is going on
- I have been checking http://tweetstats.com/graphs/mikegrace for over a year
- I installed DD-WRT on my router mostly for the statistical functionality and for geek cred
- Built my own round robin style load tracker for my server so I could better understand its load http://status.michaelgrace.info/
- I built my own JSON interface to the command line top program to monitor who and what is creating the most load on my server
- This blog post by the etsy engineering team about tracking everything made me drool http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/
- Even though I didn’t really enjoy the homework, I absolutely loved my statistics class in college.
- Sites like onetruefan.com that give me stats about what I do on the web make my geeky heart beat faster
- Purchased a wall plug that would tell me stats on how much electricity my different appliances use
As you can see I am fairly addicted to numbers and stats and I haven’t even listed everything here. I wish that more stuff was webhook enabled so I could gather meaningful statistics and build cool apps that tied more of my ‘stuff’ together in meaningful ways like Kynetx envisions. Here is to a future where life is made better and more interesting through the application and correlation of meaningful data.